Friday, June 13, 2008

Madonna

I've written about this before, but I'm still a member of the Church of Madonna.

I was surfing around the other day and decided to visit iTunes.com. Got stuck on watching Madonna videos and actually bought a few. (Ok, "Lucky Star" is sentimental to me!) I don't know what it is about her, but I get a lot of emotional support from her songs. When I was in Mexico, a part of my being able to cope was listening to her song "Issac". Today it is "Give it To Me". Man, that song rocks!

I remember taking a Women's Studies class at UC Berkeley where one day we watched some of her videos and questioned whether she was promoting or damaging womens' power in the world. I think I stood mute on the question that day, but I remember some women speaking out strongly against her. Of course, this was the late 80's and the videos we watched included "Like a Virgin".

But whatever the opinions that day, she has come out on top. She is one of the most powerful women in music and I think that she really promotes a strong stance for women in the world.

At least it works for this strong woman.

No comments: