Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Out and about

It's odd being unemployed (excuse me, laid off). I always think (when I am employed and indentured to someone else's time for a large portion of my day) that I would love to have a few days off.

But here I am wondering what to do with my day. I make up tasks just to keep myself busy. Is that pitiful? Or just normal?

Some of it has to do with the lack of money. I'm fortunate in that I have another paycheck (not quite 80 hours worth) coming to me this week. And that I have some money I've been hording (not saving, mind you) for just a time like this. But after those two are gone - and they will go quickly - that's it. So to go to a coffee house and pay $1.50 for a single cup of coffee just so I can get online is ok for now. Maybe not next week though.

The other part is that I don't usually take the opportunity to go out much during my "regular life". I wake up at 5.30 in the morning, get to work by 7, get home by 4pm, relax, go to the gym, come home and eat, then go to sleep by 10pm. There is no opportunity for me to go out and have drinks with friends because 1)they want to start at 9pm, a mere hour before my eyelids give up the fight, and 2) I need to be completely sober (not even hungover) and ready to work with limb-removing power tools the next morning.

Plus, I think all my friends are getting older. Or more adult. Or something. When I want to go out I want to go somewhere and be a goof. Dance, drink, relax, have a good time, don't worry about consequences. Everyone around me has someone or someones they are responsible to: a spouse, or a spouse and kids. I know Luis wouldn't worry too much about me. As long as I returned home within 24 hours, he'd be fine. Bail me out of jail? He would. Come pick me up at a bar at 4 in the morning? He would. Make fun of me as a suffered from a horrible hang over? Yup, he'd do that too. As long as I made it home at some point.

I have a few friends who I think would be willing to go out with that level of commitment, but they don't live here. Or maybe they have changed too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whaddayadoin' "Lulu" - Stumbled across you just now. This is Nakedboy from England/Atlanta and now Wisconsin.

You can reach me at my old MindSpring e-mail address if you still have it.

Drop me a line - hope you're doing well. Karen and kids are doing great.

J