Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dang it!

I'm sitting in a TCFY cafe ("too cool for you", that is) up on N. Mississippi Avenue. It is one of the trendiest areas in town. It's been in the gentrification mode for a couple of years now. All the trendiest people live here. Or go to coffee houses, pretending they live here.

But it's 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon, and I wonder what all these people are doing here, not working, not in school. How do they support themselves?

I have an excuse. I am currently unemployed. Temporarily, that is. I deserve to have a few days off, lounging around, trying not to spend money, and at the same time trying not to spend too much time in the house. But who are these other people? They all seem to be in their late 20's/early 30's, all seem employable, all seem trendy. So what gives?

I don't remember ever being able to live that life.

On my way over here, I tipped my motorcycle over. Not over, but over on it's semi-side. Enough so I had to step off and lift it up. Luckily it was at a four-way stop in a not very populated area. Of course, I slowed down the two cars at the intersection, and looked pretty amateur to boot. But I didn't hurt myself (aside from straining my shoulders a bit much) or my bike, so it's all good. I think I was trying to take off from the intersection too slowly, or that the road was a bit slick (it's been drizzling here all day), and my moto just outweighed me. Again, no biggie, but a bit disconcering.

No comments: