Monday, July 17, 2006

The Church of Madonna

No, not The Madonna, just Madonna.

I've been listening to a lot of her music lately. My workout track listing has at least 6 or 7 of her songs on it. And I've been finding a lot of inspiration in her lyrics. Take this for example, from Issac:

staring up into the heavens
in this hell that binds your hands
will you sacrifice your comfort
make your way in a foreign land

wrestle with your darkness
angels call your name
can you hear what they are saying
will you ever be the same


Ok, Mexico isn't a "hell", but I have committed to being here through the end of the year, so in a way my hands are bound. And, quite honestly, I do stare into the heavens here a lot. Not out of any prayer-type thing, but because there are beautiful skies and clouds here. And when a storm starts to blow in.... man, how gorgeous!

The "sacrifice your comfort" part - well, that fits me. And I am making my way in a foreign land. Which is causing me to wrestle with some long-term deamons. And no, I will never be the same.


remember, remember never forget
all of your life has all been a test
you will find the gate that's open
even thought your spirits broken


Here's the inspiration part. No matter how frustrated I can get down here, I will eventually find the gate that's open. That's some damn powerful stuff for me to hear on a daily basis!

Maybe you don't like Madonna, and maybe I'm making too much out of this, but what the hell - it's working for me!

No comments: