Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm frickin' manic!

So I haven't been online in about two weeks or so. It's rainy season and that means that power and phone lines are not necessarily constantly functional. Add the mid-day siesta time (roughly 2pm to 6pm) and the new business we're starting (furniture, cabinetry and dry wall work!), and suddenly it's the end of the day and I'm too frickin tired to slog down to the internet place, or it's closed, or whatever.

So today I finally get back online, but my email is not working correctly. I have to use the web-based interface to get my mail. This isn't too bad, but the connection was slow and it was 30 minutes before the internet place closed for the afternoon. So I was pretty frustrated.

One of the emails I had time to check was from Ginny, the woman who has been watching my cats for the past months. Or at least it was addressed from her. Turns out it was from an assistant at her job. She was writing to tell me that Ginny had brain surgery a few weeks ago and couldn't take care of my cats anymore.

Wow.

My first thoughts were for Ginny. This woman has been so frickin wonderful to me. When I was first buying my house, she helped me get the loan. And since I bought it directly from the owner, no real estate agent involved, she went to the closing with me just to keep me company and explain all the legal mumbo jumbo.

Six months later she called me up, out of the blue. Said she just wanted to check up on me and see how I was doing. Said she really liked me and just wanted to catch up. So fabulous.

Another year later and I called her to refinance my house. She remembered me and helped me out with that too. Then, when I needed to house my cats while I came down here to Mexico, she offered to take them in. I mean, this woman barely knows me and she is taking my cats in for at least 6 months!

And today I find out she has had brain surgery and is still in ICU.

I keep visualizing her laying in bed with tubes coming out of her head, groggy and not really herself. I wish I was there so I could visit her.

And then... my cats. What the hell am I going to do with them now? I had a difficult time finding anyone to take them in when I first came down here. Everyone I know already has cats or dogs or kids. Ginny was a last-minute angel swooping in to save me and my felines.

Now I'm back in the same spot, only I'm 1500 miles away. Anyone wanna watch two cats for me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the folks at Powell's would take them into their brood for a few months...http://www.powells.com/fup/168.html

Tex mex me, babe!