Friday, March 23, 2007

The Waiting Game

I turned down that job offer today.

It was a pretty good offer on the surface. The company was small (about 5 or 6 employees), built quality cabinetry and some furniture, the owner liked me and thought I would fit in with the company, and the hourly salary was within my range. But they didn't have health insurance, which, if I bought it on my own, would essentially bring my hourly wage down $3 or $4 per hour.

Plus I had talked to my previous boss, Mike. I really would prefer to work for him. His shop is a mere mile from my house - I can walk or ride my bike to work. I know how his shop runs. I know how he thinks. He and I have a great rapport. He fired his shop manager, my former supervisor - which was well over due, but better late than never, right? Last week he told me that he doesn't have enough work to hire me right now.

Yesterday after I got the job offer, Mike and I went to the bar next to his shop and talked for 3 hours. I told him I had an offer on the table, but would prefer to work for him. Was there anyway he could bring me on? He said he had been thinking about that for the last week and a half. We bantered about a few thoughts, but ultimately came away without a solid job offer for me. But there are lots of possibilities there.

So I called the other guy back today and let him down gently. I was plesantly surprised when he said that he would still be interested in talking to me if changed my mind. I must be some hot property! So now I have two possibilities, but nothing solid. Better than no offers, I guess.

No comments: