Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Man I ROCK!!!!!!!

So I set to the job of finding a job this week. I sent resumes to Arciform, The Joinery, MADE Design, and Rosemont Design, plus a few other online posts which ended up to be recruiters.

Today, the same day I applied, I got a call back from Rosemont Designs. I had less experience than would usually interest them, but they were interested anyway. Could I come in for an interview? Sure, 4pm today would work well for me.

I wasn't at all nervous. I was helping my friend Walter with an errand and he asked me why not. "I don't know if I'm interested in them, so it doesn't really matter if they like me or not. Besides, I know that I'm good at this, I know I can do what they need. If they don't want to offer me a job, I won't care."

So at 4pm I walked into the shop and asked for Ken, the owner. We went to his office and started to talk. "You saw our work on our website, so how do you see yourself fitting in here in our shop?" was his first question. I stumbled. How could I answer that when I really didn't know what his shop was like? So I asked him to clarify, realizing this isn't the best way to respond to the first question in an interview. But we quickly got into industry-type talk. He asked questions which I realized were to test my actual knowledge versus my ability to toss out the proper terminology. He talked a lot. I kept my mouth shut as much as I could. I had learned that sometimes it is better to let the other person talk.

By the time he gave me a tour of the shop, I knew I had a good chance at a job there. And I was right.

He didn't offer me a position outright, but said he was interested and wanted to call my references. Said he would call me again tomorrow.

One interview = one job offer.

Damn! I'm good!

No comments: