Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Missing Things

The week before I moved things out of storage and into my house, I went to my storage locker and grabbed whatever I could that could fit into my car, trying to minimize the pain of moving day. I looked through the plastic bins I had all my belongings in to see what I had left behind. One day I came across the antenna for my tv. I had forgotten about it completely. It was small, but I didn’t need it at home right away so I left it there.

On Saturday, after I had all my things in the house, I started unpacking and looking for certain things. One thing was that tv antenna. I was tired and I just wanted a mindless evening. Funny thing was that I couldn’t find it. Maybe it’s packed away somewhere else, I thought. Or maybe someone stole it!

But how would they have done that? The bins were in my locker all week, and that was locked up. Then it must have been on the day we moved. But we never really left the bins anywhere anyone would be able to get to them. Of course, we left the truck unlocked while we went back to the locker for more stuff, but the office was right there – wouldn’t they have seen someone opening the truck and taking something out? Could it have been one of the employees?

Ok, I’m probably just tired after a hard day of moving. I’m being paranoid. The antenna is probably in some other bin.

But after a few days of going through my belongings, I still hadn’t found the antenna. And I thought I had bought one of those fancy plastic bag storage things. Where was that?

Tonight I set up my bedframe. And I was missing pieces. As I thought about where they might be, I realized that I thought I had seen those pieces in storage too.

So maybe I wasn’t being paranoid. Maybe someone had stolen a bin of my things. But how odd would that be? How random. If the antenna was on top, I could understand someone picking that out and taking it, but what else could I have put in a bin that would be worth something?

Tomorrow I’ll go back to the storage company and ask them if they have surveillance videos of that area.

No comments: