Thursday, December 14, 2006

Aaaaaahhh-choooo!

Seems I have a hard time staying healthy down here right now. Two weeks ago it was the Dengue Flu. A few days after I recovered from that I woke up with a scratchy throat. I took vitamins and drank lots of water, living in denial. I figured maybe it was just all the sawdust I had been sucking up in the shop. Just call me Cleopatra, Queen of Denial.

Now it has grown into a full-blown cold, or something. I’ve taken Tabcin, a cold medicine, but the illness still persists.

Yesterday sucked. I didn’t get out of bed until 2pm. Then I went to Zapotiltic, a neighboring town, to drive our van, complete with trailer hooked up to the back to lead a pack of runners back to Tuxpan. See, yesterday, December 12th, is the day when people give praise to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Luis and his nephew Dorian have been the Mayordomo’s of this run for the past year. That means that they have moved a painting of the Virgin from house to house every week this past year, then planned and sponsored this run. I could hardly miss out on it due to illness.

But that meant that everyone in the house was preoccupied with getting things ready for the run. Luis was stressed out and running around all day, so asking him to get me some medicine was out of the question. Laura offered to find out what would be good medicine for me, but she got caught up in doing other things. So there I was, crawling out of bed at 2pm and realizing that I needed to make the trek to the Pharmacia to get my own medicine.

God, it sucks to be sick in a foreign country.

I just want to be healthy again.

I wonder if I stay so low below the radar around here sometimes that the family doesn’t realize how fucking sick I am. Or are they expecting Luis to take care of me? Today he talked to a doctor friend of his to find out what medicine to get me. Unfortunately, Luis mixed up his symptoms with mine (he has a bit of this cold too –no where near as bad as I do). So the doctor thought I might have a bug in my guts because Luis told him I had diarrhea. I don’t, Luis does. And Luis, feeling bad, claims that I told him I had diarrhea, and that I didn’t mention that I had fluid in my lungs. Somehow the hacking cough that comes out of my lungs every so often seemed to elude him.

So now I’m hoping that the new cold medicine Luis brought home works. I can’t do this illness shit any longer.

The upside of being sick for a month is that I've lost probably 10 pounds. Better than Jenny Craig.

No comments: