Sunday, October 17, 2010

Small World

A little background: I used to live in Atlanta and worked at an ISP called MindSpring. I now live in Portland, Oregon and work as a cabinetmaker.

So I recently met a really cool woman here in Pdx named Julia. She and I are in the same yoga class and have met a few times through meetup.com events. She rocks. She's just like me. 8^) We have a lot of interests in common and one of them is the Hong Kong actor Chow Yun Fat. So we decided to have a Chow Yun Fat film fest evening. Julia offered her house and invited a few of her female friends who she thought might be interested.

I arrived at her house and we jumped directly into conversation. Eventually her friend Dalia showed up and joined in. Dalia is a terribly interesting person. She was born in the US, but grew up Israel, and had tons and tons and tons of crazy stories to share. I sat next to her on the couch and was totally absorbed in her stories when she mentioned her son, Zohar. I shook my head and sat up straight. Julia asked me what was up. "I think I know your son, Dalia". What does he do for a living? Computer programming. Where does he live? Atlanta.

Oh. My. Gawd. I know your son. I used to work with him, waaay back in 1997 in Atlanta!

Here I am, 15 years on, living on the other side of the country, having a great girls night gab time, only to find out that the engaging woman to my left, with all the great "adult themed" stories, is the mother of a former co-worker.

Writing this now, I'm sure it doesn't seem so crazy an event to everyone else, but it was a bit of a time/space continuum warp moment for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Zohar Mann's mom?! Seriously?!! Small world. Did you know that he moved to San Diego a little after we did. He spent a little time there, then headed off to LA, I think. Guess he's back in Atlanta now, huh? So bizarre.

zmann said...

Wha? My mom likes Chow Yun Fat? This explains everything! I always wondered why she'd serve dinner by diving sideways through the kitchen door in slow motion with guns blazing.
Are you all in PDX now? I'm going to come crash your party.

Lulu said...

Zmann, you are always welcome to crash our Chow Yun Fat parties!