Monday, January 16, 2006

The body reacts, part 2

My cousin Jason warned me about this. Before I came down here he sent me an email suggesting that I take care with my health, especially for the first few months I was down here. Sure, sure, I thought, no problem. I'm fairly healthy and have always had a pretty solid constitution. Ha. Ha. Ha. I should have listened to him.

First I got the cold from hell. Apparently I wasn't the only one who got it as Dorian, Mayra, Ana, and Cynthia also got hit with it. It took about 2.5 weeks to go away. Poor Mom, she also caught it when she came down here for Christmas. But a thorough round of whatever drugs I could purchase over the counter, plus an injection of some sort of medicine, plus 4 doses of a very strong antibiotic I had left over from my trip to India four years ago (I got pretty desperate to get rid of this thing) finally killed it.

Less than a week later my intestines were attacked by something that made them sound like a washing machine on the "agitate" cycle, complete with regular "rinse" cycles where my intestines voided themselves in liquid form. Four days of nothing solid coming out of me. Five different types of medicine. Four more days with nothing coming out of me at all. Dehydration. Then finally, a full week after this all started, I returned to normal. When I was in India I had a short bout of diarhea. One pill of Immodium AD and it was gone. That was child's play compared to this. Three Immodium AD did nothing. Whatever the hell I ate, I hope to never be offered it again.

No comments: