Monday, September 21, 2009

Las Drogas!

I am coming to terms with my chemical imbalance. I had a therapist a few years back who suggested that my depression was partly hereditary, and that has mostly been proven true. Lately that has been a bit of a comfort to me. Since I no longer have health insurance, I can't afford to see a doctor to get any meds, so I am stuck dealing with my feelings au natural. For a long time I've assumed that it was just me. If only I could change my point of view, be a bit more positive, just get over myself, I would feel better.

But now I think that's bunk. Yes, I could help myself by not being as negative as I've been lately, but there's only so far that will take me. To get the rest of the way (or closer at least) to healthy, I need chemical assistance. And although that feels a bit like Loserville, it also takes a huge burden off my shoulders. It's not completely up to me. I can't fix it all by myself. I don't have to be perfect.

So I will do what I can. Eat healthy, exercise, smile more, think good thoughts, banish the negative. And when Obama finally gets this health insurance thing worked out, I'll get back on meds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course I don't know what your chemical imbalance is or how, exactly, your depression feels but... I found with my own imbalance (my personal example is when I was crossing a wide street, feeling fine as I stepped off the curb and completely devestated as I got to the other side.) that walking hard for about 45 mins. did it for me. I would be horribly angry at everyone or anyone and then, it would just fade away. At about the 2 1/2 to 3rd mile. Such a wonderful feeling. I walked in Forest Park (free) but I think any 'hard' exercise might do it. Raises the seratonin or something like that. Now I have dogs and walk with them and this allows a centering and a peacefulness. Good luck to you. And let's hope good health care does happen soon.